Sunday, September 19, 2010

Ansbach, Germany

When we got our orders for Germany we were lucky and got pinpointed to Ansbach instead of having to go to the "holding" unit in Wurzburg, Germany. Ansbach is a beautiful city and we loved living there. Besides the base the only "American" thing in Ansbach was a McDonald's. I did a lot of local shopping and got use to doing things the German way. I picked up a lot of language. Now I don't mean that I liked to speak it but I could understand almost all of it.

There was an old part of town that had been there for years. Luckily it was not damaged in World War 2. We had a favorite bakery, tailoring shop, German restaurant, cooking store and of course a wine store. They also had the best Greek restaurant and Chinese place. We loved going downtown, getting an ice cream cone and to walk around window shopping. It was all cobblestone streets and fountains, such a peaceful place.



One of the nicest places was an old church. It was all brick on the outside and the inside was just incredible. One Christmas Eve we when there for the service. Now we aren't Catholic, couldn't sing the songs in German and didn't understand everything the priest said but it was a beautiful experience. Here are some pictures from inside the church. They just don't maintain them like this in the states.





2 comments:

  1. Hey Monica, thanks for checking up on me. Life got really busy and I had to take a little break. I hope you stick around:-)

    ReplyDelete