Tuesday, July 6, 2010

College and Work


Desert Storm may have only lasted 100 days but our time with the Army was far from over. We finished that semester of college but big changes were coming for the summer. John originally went in on the split option plan. He was suppose to attend Basic Training that summer and then AIT next summer and attend monthly weekend drills with a Reserve unit in between. Once he started Basic Training there was no turning back. About 3 weeks into it he changed his option plan and decided to go to AIT right after Basic Training. That meant he would miss the start of the next semester of college. To try and stay current for college John enrolled in some mail order classes and worked part time.

I was having some thought changing moments myself. I was not happy in college. At the time, even though I had a full scholarship, UMSL was not where I wanted to be. I did what I thought was best and dropped out but I really regret not sticking with it now. I found myself kind-of at lose ends and worked some dead end jobs. I helped get a Walgreens store up and running but really wanted something in the travel industry. I thought that by working at a local hotel I could get my foot in the door but that didn't seem to help much. I finally decided to go back to school just not college. I attended a technical school and became a reservation agent for TWA which was then headquartered in St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment