Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pregnancy


The year 1995 would move swiftly for us. John didn't have too much field time but he was really busy with a new job up on the battalion staff. He loved the new job but he always felt he had to work extra hard because he was a 2nd LT doing a CPT's job. I was very active with volunteer work at the battery, battalion and post level as well as being pregnant.

We had tried so hard to get pregnant that we loved every minute of the pregnancy, well except for the morning sickness:-) Since I had taken fertility medicine to get pregnant I was going to be followed as a High Risk. I stayed pretty busy but I was dying to feel the baby move. Once the baby started moving we would spend hours in the evening feeling it roll around.

Around 20 weeks I had my first ultrasound. They were going to do all the measurements and hopefully tell us if it was a "hotdog" or a "hamburger". The morning of the ultrasound I woke and started drinking. I didn't think I would be able to get enough fluid in me but I would sure try. Once we got there we didn't have to wait too long...thank goodness. They got me ready, had John come in and then they started measuring. The room seemed really quiet but I had to go to the bathroom so bad I didn't say anything. Finally I was allowed to go release half and then find out the big news. The tech got the baby on the screen with the "money" shot and turned the monitor towards us. She asked if we could tell. We looked at each other and kind-of shrugged. She turned the monitor back to herself, positioned the cursor on the screen and typed one word. This was it, we would finally know! She turned the monitor back around and we both whispered "hotdog"! It was a BOY and we were thrilled!!! She said the doctor would go over the measurements at my next appointment and then we were done. We couldn't wait to tell family and friends.

We thought all was well until my next appointment. The doctor told us that when they did the measurements they could only view 2 chambers of his heart. He didn't want us to panic but it was hard not to worry. He scheduled another ultrasound for the following week and boy did time drag by. The day finally rolled around and I was so nervous I couldn't drink as much. It worked out ok because the baby was a little bigger and they got better pictures. This time all four chambers were there and everything look great. What a relief!

Now if I could just get the nursery decorated and fulfill my volunteer shifts before the baby boy got here I would be doing great.

No comments:

Post a Comment