Monday, July 12, 2010

First Year


Our first year of marriage perked along pretty well. I think it was pretty typical. We both worked hard and saw very little money. But we were happy. By the time summer of 1993 was upon us the Army was ready to separate us again.

The first was Advance Camp for ROTC. It was 6 weeks long and held at Fort Lewis, WA. It was a great experience for John. He got a chance to take part in each "branch" of the Army. He tried everything from shooting a gun to driving a tank. This was suppose to help him decide what job he wanted in the Army. I don't remember what his preferences were but I know his top choice was Air Defense Artillery or ADA. We also had to put in our preferences for our first duty station. Again, I don't remember the whole list but I know the top two were Germany and Hawaii and the bottom two were Fort Polk, LA and Korea. We would wait months to find out and had plenty of things to occupy our time with.


Our other excitement that summer was Airborn School for the Reserve Unit. I thought he was crazy for wanting to jump out of a perfectly good airplane but he couldn't wait. I was glad it was only 3 weeks long but it couldn't go fast enough for me. Thanks to my job I was able to fly down for the last 5 days. I got to sit through 3 day jumps and 2 night ones. One jump would have been enough for me. After the last day jump it was taking John a long time to make it off the field and I was starting to get really worried. Finally one of the jump masters came over to where I was pacing and told me he was ok, that he was just helping someone who got stuck in a tree! Finally I was able to pin on his jump wings after he got his "blood wings" from his stick leader.

As summer came to an end we settled back into school and work. Like I said before we had months to wait until we found out the next chapter of our Army life.

No comments:

Post a Comment