Monday, July 5, 2010

Desert Shield/Desert Storm


I have never been good with history and dates but one date that will always stick in my mind is February 24th 1991. That is the day the ground assult started in the first Gulf War. February 24th is also the day John changed our lives forever. He joined the Army that day. It was not anything we had really talked about. We had planned on staying in St. Louis with him being a cop and me working at TWA. Desert Shield had been in the news for days and it really was affecting John. So on the 24th he decided to do something about it.

Next he had to tell me...not a pleasant task in his mind. We went out for dinner at our favorite resturant, Pasta House. While we were waiting for our table the news come on in the bar. They broke in and said "America is at War, Desert Storm has started". I turned to John with my mouth wide open only to see him turning pale and not able to meet my eyes. Before I could say anything the hostess came up and led us to our table. John immediately opened that menu and tried to act like nothing was wrong. We placed our orders and I pinned down John with my eyes. He took a deep breath and said, "I did something today you may not be too happy about." I had no idea what was to come. He said he felt like he had to do something so he joined the Army. I was speechless, scared and upset all at once. I didn't know where to begin.

I don't remember much more from that night, but it definitely changed our lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment