Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The first four weeks


I knew having a baby was hard. They call it labor for a reason...lol. What I found harder was the first 4 weeks. Physically my body was shot. Emotionally my heart was full. Mentally my mind was tired. Over all I was completely exhausted and sleep deprived. I could never seem to get caught up.

So I sent out a SOS message to my folks and thank god they responded quickly. I had given birth on Friday and they showed up the following Saturday to stay 2 weeks. They walked in the door and there was hugs and kisses. We passed over Rob and explained that there were bottles in the kitchen and diapers back in the nursery. Then John and I high-tailed back to bed for 6 hours. We slept like the dead and Grandma and Grandpa got busy spoiling Rob.

I had been telling my mom that Rob looked exactly like John right down to his coloring. When she got there she couldn't believe how much he looked like John but she thought his coloring was off. In fact, she thought he looked pretty yellow. So the next day we took him in to get checked out. Sure enough he had a case of jaundice from being delivered so early. So the doctors had us switch from breast milk to formula and to try and set him in sunlight as often as we could. It sounded so easy...I just wish it had been that easy.

First we tried regular formula but he threw that up and had diarrhea. Next we tried a soy based formula and he threw that up too and had really bad gas. Finally we tried the most expensive formula and that did the trick. So with 4 weeks down we were finally able to get into a schedule of sorts...but not for long.


No comments:

Post a Comment