Monday, July 19, 2010

Trying for a baby


I have to back up just a little bit. By the time John went on active duty we had been married for 2 years. When we were at Fort Bliss we felt like we were "stable" enough to start a family. So we started trying for a baby without much success. Anyone that knows me knows how impatient I am. So each month that went by without a pregnancy was agony. We had some testing done and there was a medical reason I wasn't getting pregnant. So we started on fertility drugs. We weren't looking for a multiple birth just one little baby...I didn't think that was asking too much.

When we got to Fort Polk I was happy to find out that I could continue my infertility treatments. Now if John could just stay around long enough for me to conceive that would be awesome. We knew that John was going to be gone the month of April so March was do or die to us it seemed like. Another reason for our urgency was that this was our last dose of Clomid. We would have to move on to injections and I hate needles. I had some weird idea that once I was pregnant I would just know. Silly, right?

John had been gone one week and each day was dragging by. I woke up that first Saturday not feeling well but couldn't pinpoint anything. Around lunch I decided a quick trip to the shoppette for something that looked yummy was a good idea. I got there and was wandering the aisle when something caught the corner of my eye. Diapers, of all things. I kept walking and thinking that something wasn't right. Then I realized I was a week late!!! How could I overlook that?! My only answer is that God gave me a week of peace so it would show up on a home test.

So forget anything to eat. I grabbed a test kit and rushed home. I got to the bathroom and put the test on the counter. Then I just stood there. I was afraid to take it and afraid not to. Finally I got the courage up to take the test and then I wandered the house for 5 minutes. The longest 5 minutes of my life to that point. I could hardly believe it when I saw 2 faint pink lines!!! I was so happy of course I started crying. Then I stopped. I was bummed because John wasn't there to share the news with. I had to wait for him to call. I started thinking that I would wait until he got home to tell him but when he called the next day I couldn't wait any longer. He was of course thrilled and for the rest of the deployment he told everyone he could find whether he knew them or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment